Teeth Extractions in South Bend-Mishawaka, IN
At Michiana Dental Care, we aim to protect the health and beauty of your smile and to preserve your natural oral health as much as possible.
However, in some cases, an extraction may be the only option. An extraction refers to the removal of a tooth from its socket in the jawbone. It may need to be performed for any of the following reasons:
- Manifestation of deep decay in the tooth
- Damage to a large portion of the tooth due to infection or trauma
- Crowding of teeth in the mouth
- Preparation for orthodontic treatment or another procedure
- Impaction of the wisdom teeth, a condition where a wisdom tooth does not erupt fully, or erupts at an angle, causing pain and increasing the possibility of damage to the other healthy teeth.
Prior to the commencement of the extraction procedure, we will take an X-ray of your teeth to determine the best way to extract it. Local anesthesia is administered so that you do not feel any pain during the extraction process. We also offer options for laughing gas and IV sedation depending upon the complexity of the procedure and the number of teeth to be extracted. The tooth is carefully pulled out from its socket, the area is flushed, and a gauze pad is placed to control bleeding. We will provide you with instructions for post-surgical care.
Post-Op Care instructions following tooth extraction
- Get plenty of rest and avoid strenuous activities or exercise
- If you experience uncontrollable pain or bleeding, please call our office immediately
- Do not rinse your mouth for at least 24 hours
- Use a warm salt water rinse for a few days following extraction
- Avoid eating hard or chewy food. Stick to soft, cold foods for a few days
- Avoid smoking for at least 24 to 48 hours after the procedure
- Use a cold compress or ice pack to control facial swelling
- Avoid using a straw for 24 hours
- Take gauze out of mouth within 30 – 45 minutes to allow clot to form
For more information about teeth extraction procedures and post-op care instructions, please feel free to call our office.Our office is located in South Bend-Mishawaka, IN
See Real Patient Reviews
in South Bend-Mishawaka, IN
They squeezed me in last minute for some pain I was having! Great staff! Front desk especially!
Staff is very friendly and professional, and DR: Vurugonda goes above and beyond for her patients! Would totally give it five stars.